Friday, January 27, 2012

Super Bowl Party Recipes

Does everyone have their Super Bowl menus set?  I thought I would post a couple of recipes that would be perfect for Super Bowl parties.  The first one was a Secret Chef favorite (Crock Pot Pulled Pork) and we used to provide LeBus Brioche rolls with it for making sandwiches.  Oh, how I miss those rolls!  I heard there is a LeBus bakery outlet in King of Prussia.  I can't believe I never heard of it before!  I will have to check it out one day and report back here.  The other recipe is Buffalo Chicken Dip, recipe courtesy of my husband's cousin's wife, Erin.  Thanks, Erin!  There are a ton of versions of this recipe, but what makes hers different is that she purees the chicken (sounds gross, I know, but trust me!)  Every single time I've made it, people devour it and ask for the recipe!


Slow Cooked Pulled Pork Sandwiches (makes approx. 6 sandwiches)
2 cups ketchup
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 or 2 Tbs. finely minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (use more or less according to taste),
OR 1-2 tsp ground Chipotle peppers*
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1.5 - 2lbs pork shoulder (or pork tenderloin, etc.)

*I was at the Penzey's store in Chestnut Hill in December and saw they sell ground chipotle peppers.  I bought some to try, because honestly, the canned ones are a bit of a pain for me.  We don't eat a ton of spicy foods (yes, chipotles are a little spicy for me!)  so I have to mince and freeze the extra.  When I made this batch of pulled pork I kind of guessed at how much ground to substitute for the canned.  I used 2 tsp. and it came out perfect (just a little spicy, not too hot), and I can honestly not taste the difference between the ground or the canned!  Do if you find yourself at a Penzey's store, or have a catalog, check it out!

1.  Combine all ingredients (including pork) into crock pot.  If the sauce does not completely cover the pork, add 1/2 cup water.

2.  Cook on low for approximately 7-9 hours or high for approximately 5-6 hours, or until pork is tender and starting to fall apart.  Using two forks, shred the pork into small pieces, removing any large pieces of fat.  (I usually do this about an hour before the pork is done, and then stir it well, and continue cooking for another hour).  Serve on your favorite rolls.  I used whole wheat this time.

You can freeze this recipe before it's cooked.  Combine all ingredients in freezer bag and freeze.  Thaw in fridge and then empty into crock pot when ready to cook.  Continue at step #2.  Or, you can also freeze it after it's cooked.  Just cool, place in freezer bag.  Thaw in fridge and reheat on stove top or in microwave.

This recipe is super easy, but if you do not want to even take the time with the Chipotle peppers or chopping onions, I have another recipe for pulled pork that is even easier!  Just season a pork tenderloin with Season All, place in crock pot.  Pour bottle of barbecue sauce over the top, and a can of Coke or Pepsi and cook on low for 7-9 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.  My husband loves that one and it is embarrassingly simple!


Cousin Erin's Buffalo Chicken Dip (This recipes makes a large batch of the dip.  The photo actually only shows half the recipe!)
2 blocks cream cheese, softened (you can use lite, but I don't recommend fat free)
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and pureed*
1 cup blue cheese dressing (use the good kind from the refrigerated section in the produce dept)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cups Franks hot sauce
*I put the chicken breasts in a stock pot and cover with water.  I boil them until cooked through, then set them on a plate until they are cooled down enough to handle.  I save the cooking water.  Then I cut the chicken into chunks and run through the food processor in several batches, added the cooking water as needed.  You can also just shred the chicken with two forks, but I think it comes out much better when you run it through the food processor!


1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
2.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and stir to combine.  Spread dip into large casserole dish and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes, until cooked through and bubbling.  Serve with tortilla chips and celery sticks.  
I have not tried freezing this yet.  I have made it a couple days ahead though, and just waited to bake it until the day of, and that has worked out fine.


Enjoy!

No comments: